Each year, from September 15th October 15th, Hispanic Heritage Month is recognized and celebrated. We acknowledge the many contributions, diverse cultures, and powerful history of the Hispanic and Latino communities.
Hispanic Heritage Month was originally Hispanic Heritage Week; however, in 1988, it was extended to a month. Since then, Hispanic Heritage Month has been celebrated nationwide through festivals, art shows, conferences, community gatherings, and much more.
Hispanic Heritage Month is an incredible opportunity to appreciate and acknowledge the crucial role that Hispanics and Latinos play in shaping the future of our country and the world and to celebrate and recognize their legacy and future impact.
The 2023 theme for this Hispanic Heritage Month is “Driving Power, Prosperity, and Progress in America.” Throughout the month, we will highlight the three P’s and more on our IDEA blog to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.
Here are some ways you can celebrate
- Purchase from Hispanic and Latino-owned businesses
- Explore Hispanic and Latino Heritage through art
- Learn about cultural celebrations and traditions
- Read books by Hispanic and Latino authors>
- Take a virtual tour of the National Museum of the American Latino
- Listen to music by Hispanic and Latino artists
- Cook a meal inspired by Hispanic and Latino cuisine
- Donate to a non-profit organization supporting Hispanic and Latino communities, such as Hispanic Heritage Foundation, Hispanic Scholarship Fund, Latino Community Foundation, etc.
Here’s a great video about the history and significance of this colorful observance:
Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!