November is Native American Heritage Month. Throughout this month, we pay tribute to the rich ancestry and traditions of Native Americans. What started as a week-long observance in the early 20th century, grew to a month-long federally recognized event in 1990. Since then, communities, organizations, and educational institutions have come together to celebrate the cultures and histories of Native Americans throughout this special month.
Here are five ways you can support and celebrate Native American communities this month:
- Sign the pledge to be more #NativeAware
- Purchase from a Native American owned business
- Donate to the Native American Elders
- Discover the tribal land that you live on and learn about it
- Take a virtual field trip to learn more about Native American tribes and cultures.
By taking part in this observance, we can foster greater cultural understanding and appreciation for the Indigenous peoples who have enriched our nation's history. It's an opportunity to honor their resilience, contributions, and traditions, not just in November but throughout the year.
Happy Native American Heritage Month!